Joy and panic. The two emotions that pop to the surface when realizing Advent starts this Sunday, December 2 and Christmas will follow 23 days later.
10 Reasons for Joy:
1. We are preparing to celebrate the Birth of our Savior.
2. His mother said an absolute YES to God out of TRUST* in His Goodness and now the whole world can be saved.
3. Jesus actually, physically, came in the flesh. GOD was made MAN!
4. Jesus came and restored my dignity. I can now hold my head up high because I am a beloved daughter of the King!
5. Jesus came and remade me in God’s own image--He is the new Adam that makes all things new!
6. Jesus came knowing we would betray and kill Him, but He loved us and came anyway.
7. Jesus came and is not ashamed to be counted among sinners, though He never sinned-- He even takes my sins upon Himself and enables me to be Holy. He is a true friend.
8. His birth marks the start of the EIGHTH day of creation...He re-started the clock.
9. He came and embodied Truth, Beauty and Goodness-- everything on earth that is slightly close to that--points to Him.
10. Because He loved me, He actually, really and truly made it possible for me to have access to God the Father and experience heaven on earth because He is seated at the right hand of God...and also lives in my heart.
10 Reasons for Panic:
Never mind. See above.
“...keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2
Please grant me the grace to keep my eyes on You** this holiday season and remember the WHY of it all, for only that will bring me true and everlasting joy.
I ask this in the name of th Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.